During the difficult years of the Great Depression and that drought that accompanied it, Bethesda had a heavy debt of $23,000. By 1949 the debt had been paid off, and a surplus of approximately $90,000 had been accumulated. Many improvements had been made on the institution’s buildings and on the farm. The favorable turn in finances had partly come about by the sale of farms and other property held by the Homes.
Occasionally, whether it would be advantageous to move Bethesda Homes to Willmar had been asked. A committee was elected to consider the matter, and upon recommendation, the committee decided to buy a site in Willmar. The Bethesda Homes committee presented the idea to the Annual Conference of the Lutheran Free Church held in Morris, MN, on June 8-12 of 1949 and received unanimous approval.