The work at the Homes progressed and the financial conditions improved. Then came the depression with accompanied drought. The income decreased, crops failed and feed had to be bought for the stock on the farm. Considerable debt was incurred. At one time the debt amounted to $24,000 (which is approximately..Read More
During the difficult years of the Great Depression and that drought that accompanied it, Bethesda had a heavy debt of $23,000. By 1949 the debt had been paid off, and a surplus of approximately $90,000 had been accumulated. Many improvements had been made on the institution’s buildings and on the..Read More
Bethesda Homes Day
Bethesda Homes Day: For several years Bethesda Homes Day was held a Sunday during the summer. Friends of the Homes gathered for services in the Eagle Lake Church in the morning. In the afternoon an outdoor meeting was held next to the nursing home. The program was comprised of musical..Read More
In 1905, eight years after the orphanage was formed, Bethesda welcomed two senior men as residents. During the annual meeting in 1906 it was decided to build a home to serve the senior community, however due to considerable debt on the Children’s Home building ($12,879.63) the building was delayed. At..Read More
The September 30, 1908 Willmar Tribune paper displayed a list of prize winners from the Willmar Street Fair. Bethesda Homes came in 2nd place in the Class E. Grains and Seeds for their Barley and 1st place for their white turnips.
In 1905, 163 acres of land were purchased five miles north of Willmar. A new Home was erected that would accommodate 50 children. The name was changed to Bethesda Home and it was dedicated at the Eagle Lake Church on Sunday, November 12, 1905.
Nearly 125 years ago Lutheran Pastor N. S. Haggerness of the Norwegian-Danish Lutheran Conference, would open his home in Mankato to three children that came from a broken home. On September 29th, 1897 a meeting was held in Redwood County in Lamberton, Minnesota and during this meeting the “Lutheran Orphan..Read More
Bethesda’s journey began with Pastor N. S. Haggerness of Mankato opening his home to three children from a broken home. After bringing those children into his home, he felt called to help more children. In 1898 the Lamberton orphanage opened with a capacity of up to 24 children.