A new study, published by U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, found that delivering care management and wellness nursing services to older adults and people with disabilities that live in affordable housing buildings can produce positive outcomes for consumers.
Consulting firm RTI International and the LeadingAge Center for Applied Research studied a Vermont program called Support and Services at Home, which is administered in 22 affordable housing properties in Vermont. The program connects residents to health services and social supports.
Researchers found that some of the locations where the SASH program was administered, Medicare costs were reduced by up to $1,400 annually, mostly by reducing costs for hospital care. In addition, the study found that by providing services to seniors in their home, the seniors were able to continue living at home and delayed or prevented them from needing to move to a nursing home or other care facility. SASH participants also reported less difficulty with common medication management tasks.
“Our highlighted findings suggest that the SASH program has the potential to reduce the growth of Medicare and Medicaid expenditures for some participants, improve self-management of multiple medications, and enable a population of older adults and disabled residents living in affordable congregate housing to remain safely in their homes as they age,” the study concluded.
This study supports what Bethesda has been doing for years: helping to ensure seniors have the care they need in the location that is best for them. Bethesda’s continuum of services offers home health services for both skilled and non-skilled care, known as Bethesda at Home, to seniors living in the Kandiyohi and Renville county areas.
Bethesda at Home is committed to providing customized, quality medical and personal, home health-care services in the comfort of a person’s home to maintain independence and a high quality of life. Our highly trained caregivers are happy to assist with daily living and health care needs, and our client’s well-being and happiness is our number one goal.
Our dedicated and skilled staff works with our clients to come up with a plan of care that fits their needs and provides assistance to stay safely at home. We believe our home health-care services are a great resource that allow people to remain at home, where they are comfortable and secure.
Bethesda at Home services include:
- Skilled nursing: Provides assessment, monitoring, health education and reassuring support after a recent hospitalization or nursing home stay, or to maintain current health. Services include but are not limited to medication set up, wound care, IV therapy, catheter or colostomy care, diabetic supervision or monitoring vital signs.
- Medication reminders/monitoring: With the Honeywell HomMed MedPartner, our clients are reminded, with voice commands and light cues, when it is time to take their medication, the number of pills and the appropriate bottle. A daily record is sent to Bethesda at Home for clinical review.
- Home health aide: Assists with personal cares, including bathing, dressing or an exercise program.
- Homemaker services: Provides light housekeeping, laundry, shopping, meal preparation and companionship.
At Bethesda, we also have blended our knowledge of health care with our desire to embrace the special needs of both the older adult and the physically challenged individual. DayBreak, our adult day-services program, provides a daily alternative for individuals who require extra support to remain in the community. This includes health screening and monitoring by consulting nursing staff and an individual plan of care for each participant. A safe and relaxing environment is provided, with an emphasis on care support.
DayBreak services include:
- Stimulating activities designed to increase physical strength/endurance and cognitive abilities
- Health monitoring and education
- Community resource education and linkage
- Social and recreational activities such as field trips and outings
- Caregivers respite support
- Interest-based, small group activities
- Nutritionally balanced meals and services
Additional adult day-services available include:
- Bathing and hair care
- Nursing care
- Medication administration
By integrating socialization and familiar activities, we have found the DayBreak program greatly helps to enhance quality of life for both participants and their caregivers.
Our dedicated staff at both Bethesda at Home and DayBreak can assist you in exploring available funding options for in home or respite supports. These programs often include: Elderly Waiver, Alternative Care, VA, CADI, long-term care insurance, private pay and others. Contact us today to learn more: 320-235-9532.